Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Winter 2012

Darla, Buffy, Carmen, and Lily are still doing well. Lily, the oldest and only original bird we have, continues to hang in there. The other three hens, 10 months old, are laying as many eggs as they did last summer. Maybe it’s their age, or the sunnier than normal weather.

Buffy is second in command, just waiting for Lily to pass on so she can take over. Darla is third and Carmen is at the bottom and still my favorite. I give her sunflower seeds whenever she is alone.

My wife Mary Kay single handedly fought off some raccoons the other morning and managed to get all four girls back in the coop before mayhem happened. She’s a real Farmer’s wife, like from the song “three blind mice”.

I had to take drastic measures last fall to get the girls to go in the henhouse at night. I removed the outside perch, and this was not met with approval. It took several nights before they all went into the house.

I have no big plans for the chickens this coming year. I’d like to design and build an automatic door opener/closer, but I’m not sure how to get started. I am an electrical engineer, so it should be something I can do. 27 years in aerospace will dull those skills for sure.

I’m enjoying working at the Seattle Farm Co-op twice a month. Stop by some time and I’ll show you around.

Here’s wishing you all a happy and healthy 2012.

-Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment